Hope Church partners with Speas Elementary School to deliver weekend meals to children who are participating in the county’s “free and reduced lunch” benefits program. The program is directed by Second Harvest Food Bank. It’s a simple and effective way to undermine the devastating effects of poverty. These children are provided with four “no preparation” balanced, nutritional meals each weekend. A rotating team of volunteers oversees the packaging and delivery of the meals to Speas School. You can volunteer one time, or you can plug in monthly, quarterly, or whatever fits your schedule.
YoungLives is a branch of Young Life that ministers to high school girls that are pregnant or have children. Get in touch with Julie to find out about opportunities to get involved.
A Note from Jeanne Lenham and Hope Springs: Our Special Needs Ministry
Home Away From Home is a hospitality ministry which links college and grad students in our Hope community with host families who offer personal contact and nurture throughout the school year. Our prayer is to provide support and encouragement for the students, and to build long lasting relationships within the family of Christ.
Would you consider becoming a host family for a student?
This is a great ministry opportunity for your entire family! Hosting a student can be short term (a school year) or long term (as long as the student is in town). The ministry is totally flexible, to accommodate the schedules and interests of your family and your student. While there are countless ways to serve, here are some ideas:
- Inviting your student to lunch or dinner with your family
- Offering a refuge for your student to hang out, do laundry, study, or take a nap
- Providing transportation to and from church
- Helping your student navigate access to services in the local area
- Helping your student get engaged in the Hope family by introducing him or her to members and ministry opportunities
- Taking your student on a family vacation or to local events
- Including your student in holiday celebrations if he/she is unable to travel home
- Providing on-going prayer and encouragement for your student
If you are interested in being a Home Away From Home host family for a student, please complete this form, and someone from the Connections team will be in touch!